I Surrender: No More Outside Comment Systems

Lately, I’ve watched blog after blog that I visit say goodbye to outside comment systems like DISQUS and IntenseDebate.

The response from their readers has been overwhelmingly positive.  I was surprised by the number of comments that were avidly against outside comment systems.

Personally, I like all of the bells and whistles they provide.  In the first few months of this blog I used DISQUS, but I started getting complaints about it from my blog community.  I decided to let my readers decide which comment system to use, and they chose against the bells & whistles opting for the generic WordPress comment system.

What about CommentLuv?

I was unable to get CommentLuv to work with my theme so I chose to go with IntenseDebate over DISQUS since CommentLuv had announced it could be integrated with IntenseDebate.  Most of my readers are bloggers so they really like CommentLuv.

I was happy because it was a convenient excuse for me to keep the social media integration, widgets, and multiple login options an outside comment system provides.  Guess what?  My theme designer sent out an update a few weeks back.

Yep, you guessed it.  After reading all those posts I decided to disable IntenseDebate to see if the CommentLuv plugin would work on its own.  It did (insert sad blogger face here).

Now Announcing – A No Frills Comment System

With my last decent excuse not to ditch the outside comment systems gone, I have switched to the generic WordPress comment system.  Here are some of the benefits:

• Much faster page loads
  • Less confusion logging in to comment
  • No longer dependent on outside servers to be up
  • Comments now viewable using mobile devices
  • No links routing you to their comment site
  • No more sync or lost comment issues

Oftentimes, simplicity is the answer.  While I will miss the shiny features that outside comment systems provide, it feels good to eliminate some of the clutter.

What Do You Think?

In the end, I want to use what works the best for my readers.  Did I make the right choice?

I’d appreciate any feedback you have.

Justin Germino July 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Most people don’t like the outside comment systems, and I don’t particularly like them either. I like just gold old fashioned CommentLuv with wordpress handling the comments (threading turned on) and a plugin to allow users to subscribe to replies.
Justin Germino´s last [type] ..Dealing with a Hacked WordPress Blog

Brad Harmon July 14, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for reminding me about the subscribe to comments plugin. I am so used to having the outside comment systems handling this for me.
Brad Harmon´s last [type] ..Why a Closed-on-Sunday Policy is Good Business

Brad Harmon July 14, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I just found about 20 comments from March through June for which I did not reply. This was during a period where I was not blogging but a few times a month so I don’t know if I just missed them or if they were lost by IntenseDebate.

I also found about 15 comments that were flagged as spam by IntenseDebate and never made it to my server at all. They do all appear to be spam, but I would have liked to have known about them.

Maybe I was having some issues with IntenseDebate that I wasn’t aware of afterall.
Brad Harmon´s last [type] ..Why a Closed-on-Sunday Policy is Good Business

Sourav July 15, 2010 at 12:21 am

I think most bloggers prefer the default WordPress comment system because of it’s simplicity, and I am no exception. As Justin said, with the added plugins CommentLuv, subscribe to comments or comment reply notification, this system is way better than the outside comment systems. I personally find the Disqus system to be too complex.
Sourav´s last [type] ..25 Mistakes New Bloggers Need To Avoid

Brad Harmon July 15, 2010 at 1:42 am

When I first started blogging I used to click on the commenter profiles the outside comment systems provided, and I liked that you could get a real sense for the person. I quickly found out though that not too many blogs I was interested in were using DISQUS or IntenseDebate so the comments in the user’s profile ended up not being very helpful. CommentLuv does such a better job at this since I can read their blogs and join in their community that way instead.

I’m a big proponent of simplicity in theory, but I still seem to get led astray in the bells and whistles of the complex. I appreciate your feedback. I’ll be very surprised if anyone really misses some of those extra features.
Brad Harmon´s last [type] ..Why a Closed-on-Sunday Policy is Good Business

Matt Edmundson July 15, 2010 at 3:42 am

Now you’ve got me thinking!

I like IntenseDebate – I guess because I like gadgets…but I should think about this from the readers point of view…mmmmm
Matt Edmundson´s last [type] ..Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone…the next 30 day challenge

Brad Harmon July 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

I know what you mean Matt. Here’s the thing though, do any of your readers use the gadgets? My didn’t. In fact, I didn’t either. I think it’s a decision that is best made on a tribe by tribe basis. In the end, it’s probably best to listen to your tribe.

If you look at Michael Hyatt’s blog, which gets tons of traffic and comments, he uses IntenseDebate. David Risley’s blog still uses DISQUS for his comment system. Most other popular bloggers simply use the standard WordPress comment system.

Other than the missing emails, which I’m not 100% sure were caused by IntenseDebate, I had no issues with either comment system. My tribe, however, simply didn’t like them or had some legitimate issues with them.
Brad Harmon´s last [type] ..Why a Closed-on-Sunday Policy is Good Business

Ching Ya July 15, 2010 at 7:45 am

Honestly, I’m not so much a fan for third party commenting systems. For busy and popular sites it’s alright, but for me I prefer to use wordpress own commenting form – ease to use, clear and most of all needless to wait long for loading. Therefore, you have my support in making this decision. And thanks so much for putting a commentluv for us too. ^^

@wchingya
Social/Blogging Tracker
Ching Ya´s last [type] ..Tweet Branding- Scheduling and Reply Campaigns with MarketMe Tweet V2

Brad Harmon July 15, 2010 at 11:01 am

Not only did my readers have to wait for IntenseDebate to load, but they also had to wait for two widgets for popular posts and recent comments to load. Sure, all of that was a little more fancy than what I have now; however, you’re right in calling it a “needless” wait. This is especially true when you start thinking of the mobile device reader.

Thanks for the support. :)
Brad Harmon´s last [type] ..Why a Closed-on-Sunday Policy is Good Business