Have You Read This? – December 2009

Have You Read This? - December 2009It’s been said that you can tell a lot about a person by what they have in their library.  I guess there is some truth to that.

We tend to keep those books that have touched our lives or have helped us in some way or another.  The rest get sold, donated, or trashed.

I think it would be sad if all we ever read came from a blog post or website.  Perhaps, it’s the nostalgic part of me that still finds comfort in sitting in an overstuffed chair with a cup of coffee and a good book.  I must admit that the new Kindle Wireless Reader looks pretty cool though.

I’ve decided that I will share three books with you each month that are in my personal library.  I’ve provided you with an affiliate link where you can find out more information or purchase the book through Amazon.com.

The E Myth Revisted by Michael Gerber

My very first blog post back in September was about this book.  The subtitle of the book is, “Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It.”

The E Myth RevisitedI can’t say enough about this book.  When I had my CPA Firm, I decided to give a copy of this book to every one of my new business clients.  I’ve continued that practice as a small business coach.

There are so many misconceptions (or myths) that we have when we start our first small business.  We are caught up in what Gerber calls an “Entrepreneurial Seizure” and before you know it we’ve opened our own business without knowing what we are really getting into.

We don’t realize that each of us are comprised of three parts: the technician, the manager, and the entrepreneur.  Once we start to understand this, we see how each of these roles can conspire against us causing our small business to fail.

All of this is just Part I of the book!  The remainder of the book teaches you how to use these three roles to grow your small business putting your personal stamp on it, deliver consistent reliable results, and how to get this without you personally having to do it.

The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson

I try to read this book once every month.  We’ve all been given a dream by the Dream Giver, but there are many obstacles standing in the way of us realizing that dream.

The Dream Giver by Bruce WilkinsonThis is a small book that is a quick read.  It is written in the form of a modern-day parable, much like The Pilgrim’s Progress.  It is the story of Ordinary who dares to leave the Land of Familiar to pursue his Big Dream.

You don’t have to be a Christian entrepreneur to be encouraged and inspired by this book.  Since it is written in a parable style, it is not an overtly Christian book but you can clearly see God’s hands and principles in it.

I love the questions on the back jacket cover.  Are You Living Your Dream?  Or Just Living Your Life?

If you are having trouble taking that first step towards your Big Dream, or you are already on the journey but are having doubts, then this book is definitely for you.  Life is way to short not to live your dreams!

The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer

If I were stranded on an island, and I had to choose one book besides the Bible, this would be that book.  I would make it mandatory reading for every new Christian.

The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. TozerTozer opens up his book with this:

What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.

The history of mankind will probably show that no people has ever risen above its religion, and man’s spiritual history will positively demonstrate that no religion has ever been greater than its idea of God.

What a bold statement, but I think he’s right.  We are all guilty of trying to fit God into a box where we can control Him, and wrap our finite minds around Him.

He takes us through 19 different attributes of God.  At times he seems repetitive, and you may struggle here or there with his writing style.

I almost gave up on the book a few chapters in my first time reading it, but I am so glad I didn’t.  It was when I got to God’s infinitude and immutability that all the repetition made sense, and the light bulb went off in my head.

This book has so many highlights and dogeared pages now that it looks like the Vegas strip.  It has put the Bible, this world, and my place within it in a whole new light.  A deeper, fuller understanding and appreciation.

Happy Reading!  I Hope You Enjoy My Picks.

I hope that you will check out my picks for this month.  I really think you will enjoy them, and that they will be a blessing to you.

If you purchase these books through my affiliate links, thank you.  However you decide to purchase them though, I hope that you will.

I think they will be on your personal library shelf for ages to come.

Keith December 14, 2009 at 12:17 am

Ok, you made me go look at my VERY limited library! I have: King James Study Bible, Who Moved My Cheese, A Christmas Sweater (Glen Beck, was gifted to me and haven't read it yet), Excuses Be Gone, and a slew of Stephen King that I have collected since high school.

With the amount of information at our fingertips on the 'net, I have become lazy and don't read books any more. I even find myself reading the Bible online!

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check into them!
My recent post Vinyl Vs Wood Fencing

Brad Harmon December 14, 2009 at 2:05 am

I know what you mean. I buy less and less books each year. I am intrigued by the wireless Kindle. I think I could probably get used to it after a while. All my magazines and newspapers have been replaced with online sources. I find myself listening to a lot of mp3 version of books too. I guess the good news is that all of these are probably available in mp3 format or an electronic version. :)

Will December 14, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Hi Brad,

The idea of being stranded on a desert island with only book is a difficult one –
unless there's a good internet connection there of course

Cheers

Will

Brad Harmon December 15, 2009 at 12:53 am

I guess you know you are getting old when you start saying things like "We didn't have those as a kid." It is truly amazing how rapidly technology is changing our lives. I am sure there will soon be those who have never cracked open a book, but has always read via some electronic device.

By the way, you can have the internet connection, but you'll need to figure out your own power source. ;)

Michael Aulia December 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I already have the Knowledge of the Holy but haven't read it yet.. actually still have lots of other books that I bought but haven't read them fully lol
My recent post Unfailing Love video

Brad Harmon December 15, 2009 at 12:58 am

I tend to buy and read in spurts too. There are many times I have stacks of unread books in my office or on my nightstand. I also find myself starting several books without finishing the previous ones, so I have a half finished book in just about every room of the house.

I'd highly recommend reading it though. Actually, read it twice – it is much better the second time after you have acquainted yourself with his writing style.

Brad Harmon December 15, 2009 at 2:52 am

Just found out my links weren't working above. They are fixed now. Thanks Leon! :)

Fiona Kitchen December 15, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Nice post Bradley – I like to look on peoples bookshelves too, if I get the chance :-) its says an awful lot about the person (though anyone looking at mine might get the idea I'm unusual).
I've always said to my children, 'Read well and read lots. Books will take you anywhere you want to go'.

Brad Harmon December 16, 2009 at 2:15 am

I'm pretty sure my eclectic collection will raise some eyebrows, but I plan on sharing it anyway. :)

MikeHolmes December 15, 2009 at 2:52 pm

There's one book I don't EVER see me getting rid of: The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. To me that is a classic. I go back to every chance I get. Awesome book!
My recent post How is Your Church Handling This Recession

Brad Harmon December 16, 2009 at 2:17 am

Hey Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I've added your book to my library now, and my review of your book is up. I'll be contacting you via email later this week to finalize the interview details. I am excited. I think it will be great.

MikeHolmes December 16, 2009 at 2:47 am

I saw it. Thanks for the review and for your honesty…I look forward to the interview

MikeHolmes December 16, 2009 at 2:47 am

I saw it. Thanks for the review and for your honesty…I look forward to the intwerview
My recent post Why Jesus Was Never a Mass Marketer

MikeHolmes December 16, 2009 at 2:47 am

Jared P Little December 16, 2009 at 9:59 pm

The 1st book sounds like a good one will had to see if I can pick up a mp3 of it for x-mas. I go back an forth with books I have a pretty interesting list myself that I have acquired over the years.
My recent post How *Crap* Can Dramatically Boost Your Profits!

Brad Harmon December 17, 2009 at 3:52 am

If you learn the principles of that book, and follow them, you can build business after business after business. I've seen so many small business owners that are just self-employed people. There's nothing wrong with that if that is what you want, but they thought they were entrepreneurs and owned a real business. This is why I gave it to all my clients.

Laurie Neumann December 22, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Brad,

I haven't read any of these, but am always looking for good books to read. You helped me remember the Dream Giver. I remember when they came out that it sounded like one I'd like.

Thanks for sharing!

Brad Harmon January 7, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Tozer's book was life changing for me as a Christian. It will change how you see God.

The Dream Giver is a very fast read, but still is very powerful. There are so many forces that come against us when we set out to accomplish our dreams, and this allegory does a great job bringing light to them.

The E-Myth is just a really great primer to anyone wanting to be an entrepreneur. There's so much more about being an entrepreneur than just being great at what you do.